What to Expect
What to Expect During Your Colonoscopy
- During a colonoscopy, your doctor will very carefully put a thin, flexible tube with a lighted fiber optic camera, called a colonoscope, into your rectum and colon. The colonoscope sends pictures of the inside of your colon to a video screen so your doctor can check for polyps (abnormal growths) or colon cancer, also known as colorectal cancer, or CRC. If your doctor does see a polyp, it can be removed during your colonoscopy.
- You will have an IV placed in a vein in your hand or arm so you can be given medicines and fluids. Right before the test begins, your doctor will give you a mild sedative to help make you as comfortable as possible. As you lie on your side, your doctor will slowly and gently put the colonoscope into your rectum and up through your colon. You may feel some pressure, bloating, or cramping during the test.
- After your procedure, you will have to rest for a while until the effects of the medicine wear off. While you are resting, your doctor will talk to you about the results of your test and whether any polyps were removed. If a biopsy was performed, you can expect to get the results in a few days.
- Do not drive yourself home after your test. Ask a loved one or friend to go with you on the day of your exam.
What to Expect With SUFLAVE
Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions and carefully read the information that comes with SUFLAVE. Your doctor will tell you when it is time to begin taking SUFLAVE.
SUFLAVE is a split-dose (2-day) regimen. A total of 2 doses are required for complete preparation for colonoscopy in adults. You will take 2 bottles of liquid in two separate doses. One dose of SUFLAVE is equal to one bottle plus one flavor enhancing packet. An additional 16 ounces of water must be consumed after each dose of SUFLAVE.
In clinical studies, the most common gastrointestinal adverse reactions are nausea, abdominal distension, vomiting, and upper abdominal pain. Call your doctor if you have any questions about taking SUFLAVE.
SUFLAVE™ (polyethylene glycol 3350, sodium sulfate, potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, and sodium chloride for oral solution) is an osmotic laxative indicated for cleansing of the colon in preparation for colonoscopy in adults.DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
A low residue breakfast may be consumed on the day before colonoscopy, followed by clear liquids up to 2 hours prior to colonoscopy. Administration of two doses of SUFLAVE are required for a complete preparation for colonoscopy. Each bottle must be reconstituted with water before ingestion. Each bottle and one flavor enhancing packet are equivalent to one dose. An additional 16 ounces of water must be consumed after each dose. Stop consumption of all fluids at least 2 hours before the colonoscopy.CONTRAINDICATIONS
Use is contraindicated in the following conditions: gastrointestinal obstruction or ileus, bowel perforation, toxic colitis or toxic megacolon, gastric retention, hypersensitivity to any ingredient in SUFLAVE.WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
Risk of fluid and electrolyte abnormalities: Encourage adequate hydration,
assess concurrent medications and consider laboratory assessments prior to and after each use; Cardiac arrhythmias: Consider pre-dose and
Most common adverse reactions (≥2%) are: nausea, abdominal distension, vomiting, abdominal pain, and headache.DRUG INTERACTIONS
Drugs that increase risk of fluid and electrolyte imbalance.
1. Bhandari R, Goldstein M, Mishkin DS, et al. Comparison of a novel, flavor-optimized, polyethylene glycol and sulfate bowel preparation with oral sulfate solution in adults undergoing colonoscopy [published ahead of print July 24, 2023]. J Clin Gastroenterol. doi:10.1097/MCG.0000000000001894 2. Bhandari R, Goldstein M, McGowan J, et al. A safety and efficacy comparison of new BLI4900 bowel preparation to oral sulfate solution. Poster Sa1024 presented at: Digestive Disease Week Annual Meeting; May 21-24, 2022; San Diego, California.https://www.emedevents.com/medical-hybrid-events-2022/digestive-disease-week-ddw-conference-2022. 3. Data on file, Braintree, MA: Braintree Laboratories, Inc. 4. SUFLAVE [package insert]. Braintree, MA: Braintree Laboratories, Inc.